Applications are now being accepted for the 2021-22 School Year.
High school athletes typically struggle to manage the demands of being a teenager with the expectation of being a high performance athlete. Long hours of training can lead to less time for homework, rest and recovery. Over time, this can cause a decline in health and performance, in the classroom and on the playing field.
The Canadian Sport School, designed by the Canadian Sport Institute in partnership with local school districts, ensures that athletes on the high performance pathway have the time, support and resources to balance school and training.
Engage Sport North leads registration and programming for the Canadian Sport Schools in Prince George, Dawson Creek and Smithers for student athletes and para-athletes on the high performance pathway in grades 10-12.
Dedicated student athletes attend their home high schools in the morning and the Canadian Sport School Campus in the afternoons to complete personalized strength and conditioning and academic course work under the supervision of trained specialists and qualified teachers.
In partnership with the school district, all student-athletes receive ministry approved credits for their time spent during the afternoon block. Many students who graduate from the Canadian Sport School go on to compete on the world stage on Olympic, National, Provincial and U Sport/NCAA teams.
The important deadlines and application requirements are found at the end of the application form. Please read the entire form.
Each application package must contain the following items
- A completed Canadian Sport School Student Application Form – 2021-22, signed by the applying student and one parent/guardian.
- A completed Canadian Sport School Student Evaluation Form – for Vice Principal – 2021-22 form, completed and signed by the Vice Principal of the applying Student’s home high school.
- A COPY of your most recent report card.
- Letter of reference from your current coach (from your current sport). If applying student plays more than one sport then a letter of reference from the coach that coaches most hours per week will suffice.
- Sport resume – including a summary of applying student’s sport history, results achieved, and current status (point form or paragraph form is OK).
- A paragraph written by the applying student stating (a) why you want to attend Canadian Sport School and (b) what makes you a good candidate for the Canadian Sport School. (Only about 150 words)
- Total School Fee is $1800.00. With applying Student’s application, please include an initial deposit cheque of $450.00 made out to “Engage Sport North” (Dated April 9, 2021) with 3 other post-dated cheques for $450.00 each and each cheque post-dated for: June 30, 2021, September 1, 2021, and October 1, 2021. (Unsuccessful applicants will have deposit cheque and 3 other post-dated cheques returned to applicant)
There is no partial or total refund available for successful candidates once he/she accepts the offer to be admitted into Sport School for the 2020-21 school year.
All applications must be handed in via hard copy with all forms completely filled out and other requested documents completed.
Completed applications can be handed in person to Engage Sport North or mailed to:
ENGAGE SPORT NORTH,
3333 UNIVERSITY WAY
PRINCE GEORGE, BC V2N 4Z9
After applications have been received, selected candidates will be notified of an interview time at their home school or online interview. All Sport School interviews will be with the applying student only and the Sport School staff. No parents/guardians are needed to attend the interview.
Successful candidates will be notified shortly after the conclusion of interviews.
For more information please email: email@example.com